Saturday, January 14, 2012

Stories without Words

 Photo by kanelstrand

You can see the image (click it for the source) is my writing prompt today. 

This picture reminds me of the conversation that Jimmy Stewart has with his sweetheart in "It's a Wonderful Life" when he tells her that he will give her the moon. 

It looks to me as though this little boy is really going to dip his net in the water and pull out the moon in all it's shining glory. I can see him pushing the moon into his backpack, zipping it up and sprinting home to show his family.  I can hear him calling his mum, as he bursts through the back door, pulls off his backpack and runs toward her answer all at once.  I can see him tugging at his backpack until the giant silvery ball comes rolling out onto the floor.  I can see his grinning face, beaming with pride as he says, "Mum, look, I caught the moon!" 

There are so many responses that Mum could give...

1. The moon is for everyone, take it back right now!
2. Oh, Darling, you must be the first kid to bring the moon home to his Mother.  I'm so proud of you.
3. How many times have I told you not to bring home the things you find in the lake?
4. Don't be silly dear, you can't fit the moon in your backpack and bring it home. That's impossible.
5. You don't have to bring me the moon, I love you no matter what. 

I think my mother would respond with a mixture of one, three and four. 

Well that's that for this week.