Thursday, August 23, 2012

Books, Reading, Writing, Appreciation

Thursday Thankyou Day Returns.

Have I mentioned that it is book week? 

It was not until I started working at my current school that I realised how lucky I am to be literate.  I had always taken this skill for granted.  I have mentioned this week that learning to read was something that I don't remember doing.  I only remember knowing how to read.  Learning to reading may have been so traumatic that I wiped it from my memory. LOL. It is far more likely, that learning to read was a gradual and enjoyable process for me.  Books were always a part of my life.  I grew up surrounded by them.  I had difficulty making friends as a child (I still do) and I quickly learned that books were the kind of friends that didn't reject me or judge me, but welcomed me with open pages.  I loved to escape into my imagination and into the worlds of the books that I read.  

I always loved picture books.  I liked how easy it was to engage with them.  I liked how the pictures sometimes told a story all of their own.  The pictures brought out the hidden meaning behind the words.  I was intrigued by their magic.  I loved novels and biographies too.  I liked to read.  No, I loved to read.  

I still love to read.  

Today, I want to remind you, dear reader, that this skill we have is really a gift.  We are privileged.  We are special, we have the opportunity to share in a world of words and wisdom so vast we will never explore all of it.  It is also a privilege we must share.  We must help the young people in our lives to see the joy of reading and want it for themselves.  

I am thankful that my parents and grandparents (probably without even thinking) surrounded me with books and instilled in me the importance of learning to read.  I am thankful that I went to school and was encouraged to do my best when I was there  I am thankful that I have the opportunity to share my knowledge with children and adults alike.  I am thankful that I can read and can afford to have books on my shelf (that I don't really need) waiting for me to read them.  

On another note about privilege and sharing.... I have a best friend.  Not the BFF, not the most Beautiful Woman in the world, not my teaching partners or my students, but the Creator of the Universe.  Yes, I met Him through a book, and my parents.  Jesus and the relationship I have with Him is an amazing, unfathomable gift.  It is a gift, I have to share.  If you know God, then let people know about the joy you experience in his presence and pray they want to experience it too.  

Much Love

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!