Sunday, October 18, 2015

Tips for Perfect Pet Photos

You may have noticed I like to capture the memories.  I like to take photos of Shelly, playing, sleeping, looking at me like I'm silly, eating and even ignoring me. 



I find it a bit frustrating when she poses for the perfect picture and by the time my camera clicks, she has moved!!  I'm not getting a new phone so I can get a faster camera.  I'm sure there is probably some way I can change the settings so that the camera I have works faster.  In the meantime, I have found a way to get Shelly to focus, so my camera has time to focus too. 

All you need is one of these...
Image Source


That's right. all you need is a pipe cleaner!!!
Bend and twist it into any shape you like as long as you give it a 'tail' that can tuck into your phone cover.  Then, tuck it into your phone cover.  Simples!

Show your kitty the new attachment to your phone then start snapping.  Here are some photos I took of Shelly, using this awesome little fluffy wire. 


Have you ever seen a more beautiful kitty?
There are lots of listicles offering tips for great pet photography.  Many of these articles include the almost 'common sense' info.  Here are some ideas that I have picked up from my reading and experience.
I couldn't possibly have planned this photo! 
1. Be ready, always!
You never know when your little treasure will do something cute.  Be prepared.
2. Have Fun!
If you have some time and want to take a few photos for something specific (e.g. I made a calendar for Nanny last year with photos of Shelly for each month) get out the treats and the toys and have some fun. 

As you can see, some of the best pics were impromptu
and included Shelly's toys!




The treats feature too sometimes!

3. Relax. 
If you are relaxed, your kitty or puppy or bird or goldfish will be relaxed too.  That's the best way to get a great photo.  By the way, this is true for photographing humans too.

4.  Tidy up.
Have a nice clean space that has nothing you will notice later and not want in your pictures.  Some really great pictures of Shelly have been ruined by the pile of laundry in the background. 


5. Try different angles and shot types. 
The extreme close up may really bug your pet.  I know there are times when Shelly doesn't want me in her face.  Lots of photographers will tell you to get down on 'their' level.  If your pet is on the floor, you get on the floor too and take photos from the same height.  But some of the best pics I have seen are from unusual angles.   I have photos from Shelly's level, from under, above and beside her.  Don't worry if it isn't the 'recommended' shot type or angle that you are 'supposed' to get.  Take it anyway.  You might be surprised with the results.

6. Edit
Use an online or phone application to edit your photos.  Crop, change colouring, reduce red eye, blur edges, do the lot.  Have fun with it too.

So there are my tips.  Have fun!!












No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!