Monday, October 5, 2015

Why I Love Quality Time with Kids

  I'm exhausted today after spending the last two days with my nephews and nieces. 

The first day was spent watching Mr #1 (he's 15yo) play futsal.  They played in the Schools Championships, unfortunately they didn't make it into the Semi-final, but they played well.  I'm not a sports fan. I don't see how some people get so attached to players and plan their lives around game days.  I don't understand all the rules and the emotion attached to a score. I wasn't that great at sport either which probably explains why I don't follow any sort of team.  When it comes to my nephews and nieces and their sports, I am an enthusiastic supporter.  I dress in team colours and shout encouraging platitudes with the best of them.  I love it, because I love my nephews and nieces. 


Any time I get to spend with "my" kids is a blessing.  I love being with them.  We love to do so many things together.  I love it for various reasons and I hope they have more than one reason for spending time with me. These little ones inspire me.  It is an absolute pleasure to watch them grow.  They welcome me with open arms (literally).  They remember little things that make me seem magical in their eyes. They all have their own special skills, loves, desires and ways about them.  I truly enjoy our time together. 

They inspire me as they live entirely in the moment at hand.  Of course, as a toddler one doesn't have any real worries beyond those of the present.  However, it highlights the joy available to us if we let go of everything else and just be in the moment.  I have so much fun when I spend time with my nephews and nieces because I put everything else aside and make them the most important person in the room.  I hope that is why they like to see me.  I enjoy it because I am not worrying and I'm not even thinking that hard.  It's glorious.

Watching my sister's children grow is a delight! When I see Mr #1 with his friends, with his little sisters, with his parents, I remember holding him in my arms the night he was born.  An interesting journey it has been.  I see first steps, I hear first words, I sing happy birthday and I'm invited to school plays and sports days.  I have been to doctor's appointments and sat by hospital beds. I have been the baby sitter on call and the favourite aunty for sleep overs.  I get to take part. I'm so lucky.

Who doesn't love cuddles? Who doesn't love seeing someone's face light up when they see you?  No one! That's who! 

Each of them have a different story of when they have had a sleep over at my house or just been for a visit.  We have built cubby houses in the living room with sheets and furniture.  We have painted a sheet by throwing paint dipped cotton balls and balls of paper.  We have dropped Mentos into Diet Coke and stayed up late watching movies. I have painted faces and had my face painted.  I have had my hair styled beautifully. What a wonderful way to spend my holidays.

I could go on for hours telling stories about the little things my angels have done over the years, but there is no time for that.  There is far more fun and frivolity to be had.

That's that then!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!