Sunday, November 15, 2015

One Thing I have learned from Being a Star Babysitter!!

You know I'm the best aunty in the world, right?

I have resources.  I have cash in my pocket, a seemingly endless supply odds and ends for craft, heaps of fun ideas and I am just a little bit silly!  I love my nieces and nephews and the best thing is, they love me too! 

I have had lots of experience with little people - as in babies and children- as well as teenagers.  I'm not sure I really want to add up how many years of experience I have.  Okay, let's see... (2 and 2 is 4, then... whisper whisper, carry the one, furrow eyebrows,)... it's about 20 years of playing with other people's children and helping look after their needs.  My nieces and nephews are not the only kids I have entertained... I have worked in schools (Prep to Year 12), volunteered and led Church youth activities too. 

The hundreds of children I have cared for and entertained over the years have taught me a lot about myself and the world.  My recent play dates with the two littlest nieces (number 7 and number 8) have taught me quite a bit too.  Today, I'm going to share only one thing with you.  One very important lesson I have learned in my almost 20 years of child care....

There is no such thing as Mess Free Craft!!
Colouring in doesn't make a mess, right? wrong!
 

Even when the cat helps you clean up... there is mess!

Paint and Mess-Free are not words that should ever be in the same sentence!!


Don't believe the internet!  These well meaning bloggers who tell us that they have Mess-Free Craft to share with you are delusional... don't be sucked in!  The activities they describe may be designed to create little (or no) mess but when little people (or let's face it, big people) are involved, there will always be mess!  That's how it should be!  Kids need to be kids.  Let them make a mess and teach them how to help clean up. 

Wisdom imparted.  My work here is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!