Friday, April 29, 2016

How Pinterest Has Helped Me Draw Closer to God

Our family is facing a challenge. 

My Dad is very sick.  The prognosis is about 3 months.  This is challenging because Dad is struggling to understand his illness.  I live with my parents so I see his frustration, exhaustion, confusion and deterioration everyday.  Sometimes it is really hard to watch my Dad suffering, knowing there is nothing practical I can do.  My mum and I share the responsibility of caring for Dad.  That is hard too, sometimes. 

I am somewhat distracted most of the time these days.  If I'm not with Dad, I have him (and all the things related to caring for him) humming along at the back of my mind.  I think about his medications, his pain, his sleep patterns, his diet and even his bodily functions.  Reading a passage of scripture and devotional lesson is difficult.  I struggle to concentrate.  This is difficult for Dad to do too.  My mind wanders while I read and when I try to pray.  I continue to persevere with this, but sometimes it feels like I'm not doing so well.

The Pinterest Board, which I created way back when I joined up, has been a real comfort to me of late.  I also followed other Christian women on Pinterest as well as Bible-based online communities.  Whenever I log on to Pinterest, I see Bible promises with beautiful images among the noise of education and craft photos.  I see them, I read them and I am reminded that I serve a Loving, Merciful, Powerful God who loves me and listens when I pray.  Then I thank God for His word.  I thank God for my Friends and Family who pray for me.  I claim God's promises for my family.  I sit still for just a moment and I breathe in His Peace. 

Social Media is often bagged out for the negative impact it has on society.  Today I am thankful for the escape of social media and the contact I can have with the outside world.  I can do all this from the comfort of my recliner. 

If you are interested, check out some of the links below to see what is encouraging me online. 

My Pinterest Board= TRUE

Instapray - post your own prayer requests or pray for others.

1 Minute Bible Love Notes - short, powerful messages from God's word

Amazing Grace Blog - encouragement from a Christian Woman

Happily Hope - Bible verse printable pictures


I have an Awesome God!