Friday, December 2, 2016

So it's December..

Okay, NOW you can decorate the Christmas Tree and get wrapping (gift wrapping not rhyming).  It wouldn't hurt to get singing those Christmas Carols too. 

I have been a bit of a bah humbug this past two months.... you could have heard me saying things like.......

"It's October and far too early for Christmas Decorations on sale in the shops."

"No, I don't want to 'like' the photos of the Christmas Tree you have already erected in your living room."

"You shouldn't put tinsel around your dog's neck at any time of the year, but especially at the BEGINNING of November!"

"No, thanks! I don't want to participate in the Secret Santa." 

It isn't that I don't love Christmas!  In fact, if you have ever read this blog in December, you will know that I devote the entire month to being 'festive'.  I love Christmas! There are some aspects of Christmas celebrations that I don't enjoy.  I look back on how I used to behave around Christmas time and I feel a little sad.  You see, Christmas was all about the decorations, the gifts, the various events and activities.  I'm a regular churchgoing Christian and while many of the Christmas events I attended were affiliated with church, I rarely attended for the right reasons.  I attended because I was expected.  I attended to see people I knew would be there.  I attended because that's just what we did.  I also bought gifts for messed up reasons too.  We won't go there. 

I don't want to dampen anyone's Christmas Joy and I don't want to criticise your Christmas Traditions.  I do, however, want to say that Christmas is a special time for followers of Jesus and we need to be mindful of our attitude and motives behind our 'celebrations'.  My advice on this point is this: don't feel pressured into participation in any of the commercial activities associated with Christmas. 

As of today, I have managed to publish one post every week of the year so far.  That means that I am so close to meeting my posting goal for this year!!  WOOHOO to me!! I finally chose a realistic goal!  Only 4 more official posts to go!  We will see what the coming days bring.