Friday, February 17, 2017

Returning to the Real World

If you are a regular around here, you know that I took some time off work last year so I could be my dad's carer.  He died towards the end of the school holidays and I wasn't ready to return to school so soon after his death.  I took three weeks off.  On Monday, I went back to work.

Monday was very hot and my new classroom (yes another classroom) is not air conditioned.  In fact, none of the classrooms that I'm working in this year are air conditioned.  Thankfully, I was asked to ignore my timetable for the first day and dive into some data sheets and check all the work that has been done in my absence. On the other hand, I am not a numbers person and staring at data all day, really isn't my thing!!

The second day was more of the same, only I was able to spend a little bit more time in the classroom.  That was hard work.  Some say that teaching is like riding a bike, once you learn how you never forget it. That is partly true.  The thing is, there are lots of skills that a teacher has to implement all at the same time. 

I have been living in a world where it was very important that we did one thing at a time and did it perfectly.  I was living in a world that stayed together when it was calm and quiet.  It was my job to keep things calm and quiet and stick to one thing at a time. Being a teacher in a fast paced environment, working in a busy staffroom, does not work quite like the little world I had built.  It is almost the complete opposite. 

I think I may have missed a few things, not just while I was away, but in the last few days, when I was sitting right in the middle of said things.  I have arrived home everyday feeling very tired and sore. I have been in bed before 8:30 every night!!

Everyone I have seen at school has been glad to see me.  That's a nice feeling. 

This week has been especially busy because #2 is turning 13 this weekend and I have been organising the party!!! Busy, busy, busy! I will share pictures, plans and all that behind the scenes fun in a few weeks.  We have also been planning for #7's birthday party which is in 3 weeks! She is turning 5.  There is heaps to do.  I'm excited even if I am tired.   

I hope your week was not such a shock to your system as mine was.  Either way, tomorrow is a brand new day. 

Have courage and Be Kind!