Friday, April 28, 2017

Postcards from Adeliade: Day 3

I didn't achieve much on this particular day.  Perhaps it was because Tuesday was so eventful.  Perhaps it was that I finally realised I was on holidays and I was tired from real life.  Perhaps it was something I ate or something I dreamt.  Perhaps it was none of those things.  Surprisingly, Day 3 was still eventful.  The morning flew by as I prepared breakfast and did some reading about Adelaide.  Read on to find out about the second time I got lost in Adelaide. 

Day 3: The Free City Loop Bus

At around 1pm, I ventured out to the mall again and found the bus stop for the Free Loop Bus.  Adelaide has a City Connector Free Loop Service it has an clockwise and anticlockwise timetable.  Then there is an Inner City loop and a North Adelaide/ City loop.  It means that if you're willing to walk up to a kilometre you can get to almost anywhere in the city for free.  I decided that considering my slightly fragile state, I would simply ride the bus until I saw something I wanted to look at, then would get off at the next stop. 
There were a few restaurants I wanted to check out on Rundle Street and Ebenezer Place so I hopped off the bus at an Irish Pub on the corner of East Terrace and Rundle Street.  I figured I would make my way back to my apartment on foot and stop at one of the restaurants on my list.  I wandered down the street and found a lovely place called Gelatissimo, there sell a variety of beautiful Gelato and Sorbet.  I was hungry, so I decided to sample their Cookies and Cream flavour as well as the Mint Chocolate Chip. It was sooo yummy.  I had never seen a Gelatissimo store but I have since learned that they are situated in several capital cities so if you click the link above you can work out if there is one near you. 

I was very excited about visiting a restaurant called Blackwood.  The menu is described as Indigenous Fusion.  They use local, organic produce and serve award-winning gourmet meals inspired by traditional Indigenous recipes. The menu is continually evolving as meals are designed based on seasonal changes and the best produce that is available.  I had recorded the address from a dining guide and looked it up on a map.  I set off down the street looking for street numbers.  As you can imagine, only some of them were easy to locate.

I stumbled upon Ebenezer Place, which I had been told was a 'must experience' location so I turned the corner and decided to check it out.  I can see how it might be a lovely place to spend some time with friends and if you like tasting craft beer you might like to check this place out. Personally, I was a little disappointed. If I wasn't looking for somewhere specific, I would have easily found somewhere to eat and spend an hour or two reading, journaling or just people watching.  Early afternoon in the middle of the city, meant it wasn't that busy so not so many people to watch.  Back to my point.  I walked around in circles quite a few times before finding my way back onto Rundle Street.  Before you ask: No, it wasn't a windy little maze filled with little shops and cafes that all look the same.  There was not a real reason for me to get lost, I just did.  I sat for a short while, as my feet were starting to hurt.  After that, I used my phone to get directions to Blackwood from 'my current location'.  That's when I got really lost! There was no way of knowing (on this app) which way was North, which way I should walk or what 'landmarks' to look for.  So, I figured I hadn't seen the restaurant yet so I must not have passed it.  I kept walking towards my hotel and then looked up my phone again.  My new 'current location' was even further away from my 'destination' (Blackwood).  So, I stood on the corner, dumbfounded, staring at my phone.  Then, I looked in different directions up the street, then back at my phone, then back at the street, then my phone. 

I was sore, tired, and gradually feeling worse.  I decided to wander back to the hotel and stop at any café that looked appealing.  Boy, was I happy to get back to my apartment that night.  Thankfully, I found a lovely little Thai Massage Parlour that was literally a few metres from the lobby of my hotel.  I enjoyed that massage. 

Lesson Learned: When you're on vacation and don't feel great-

  • Either go out with a plan that has been organised down to the second and now exactly where you are going, OR don't have a plan at all OR, don't go out.  Do what feels right for you.
  • RELAX. There is nothing you HAVE to DO.
  • LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS and ENJOY whatever comes your way. 
  • Remember that you are on vacation and it's okay to just rest.
  • If you want to go somewhere specific, it's okay to spend money on a taxi (just this once) and enjoy the experience instead of getting yourself in an even bigger mess trying to save a bit of cash. You're on Vacation... you scrimped and saved you deserve this. 

That's that then. 
Next Week.... CAT DAY!! You will love this!