Saturday, December 30, 2017

7102 - 2017 in the mirror (or reflecting on this year)

Well, the end is near.  The end of the year, that is.

I like to reflect on everything that has happened this year.


Quite a lot has happened this year!!

I started the year feeling positive, but uncertain.  The first days of 2017 were strange and feel like they were a lifetime ago.  This past year, I have seen things, learned new things and grown so much.  I have grown up a bit... sad.

8 January 2017: my Dad went to heaven.  He had already outlived the doctors' predictions by more than 6 months.  Typically stubborn.  It was a warm Sunday morning.  I cried and kissed him.  My mother, my aunty and my sister were in the room too.

18 January 2017: we celebrated Dad's life and gave him quite a send off.  I was so blessed by the love and care and wonderful stories people told me.  He touched lives.  It was a good day.

February: I returned to work and struggled with the change of pace.  I survived.  I planned a 13th Birthday party (NERF themed) and it was kind of cool.  Check out this Pinterest Board to see what inspired me.

March: Another party, which was for my niece who turned 5.  There was an 'art' theme with face painting, bubbles, play dough, poster painting and party games.  Click here to read more about how to plan your own Art Themed party.  We also got some difficult news about family struggling with a mental health issue.  Sometimes loving someone is hard work.

April: My first holiday in more than 10 years!  Good for me!   I went to Adelaide all by myself.  It was glorious and I can't wait to go on my next solo adventure! Yes, there are lots of exclamation marks because I want you to understand how sincere I am.

May: My uncle died suddenly.  He went to Heaven too.  There were many comments along the lines of Dad wanting Uncle to keep him company.  They were good mates.  I miss them both.

June: Planned and executed an EPIC Jurassic World Party!  While the whole thing was exhausting and a bit stressful, seeing the smile on my nephew's face was priceless.  He turned 10 and he had a blast.  His friends had fun too.

July: HOLIDAYS!  An aunty came to visit and we spent some time crafting together.  She got me hooked on craft stuff!!!! I am so grateful for her guidance and generosity.  We also celebrated Aunties Day! Go Me!


August: Back to school.  Mum's birthday.  Busy... not sure why?

September: count down to holidays... planning fun for the future.  It was Mum and Dad's 40th wedding anniversary.  We had an interesting weekend.

October: Family!! Mum and I went to Sydney to attend a surprise party for my Uncle and Aunty.  It was nice to attend a party without having to organise anything but myself.  Phew.  That was fun.  We went to the Gold Coast for a weekend during October too.  We caught up with friends and family and that was great.

November: I spent most of November counting down to the school holidays!  All I remember is being tired.  I was late for a couple of posts... but I got there eventually.

December: Dad's birthday was on 07/12 and we celebrated by eating ice cream.  It reminded me how much I missed him.  Also made me realise how many happy memories I have of Dad and ice cream!!! Then there was my birthday and Christmas and more family gatherings.


I made lots of cards this year.
Check them out here...

I added to the How to Be a Carer 'tag' here at AGT.

I set some goals and I reached most of them (check them out here).

What have I learned this year?

I'm not perfect and life isn't perfect and that is what makes us both beautiful!
I love making cards!
I can do almost anything if I really want to do it.  I might need to do it a bit differently so that it works for me, but it's worth the effort.
Life goes on.
Family and Friends are important!
I like spending time with adults... especially older people.
I love to learn!
I need to be quiet.  More on this one next year.
My Mum is amazing.
My Sister is a marvel.
Growth/ Progress comes from small yet consistent choices that we make everyday.


That's that for 2017.  I hope you take some time before Monday (2018) to think about the year that has just passed and start looking towards the year ahead.  I can't wait to see what happens next year! I think it's going to be AWESOME!