Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Kicking Goals!

It's almost New Year's Eve. I can't believe it was a whole year ago that I set these goals for myself. Let's review for the last time this year.  

This Year, 2017, I will…

Quit… eating because I’m bored, sad, angry, frustrated or confused.

I'm doing very well with this goal. Unfortunately, I think I will have to keep up the habit of considering my emotions before heading for the fridge.  On the bright side, I am more mindful of how I am feeling and I am choosing to deal with my emotions in more productive ways such as exercising, doing craft, or finding another outlet.  I am starting to notice how often people around me claim that they "need" the chocolate cake to help them through an emotional time.  Interesting!  

Eat…   three balanced meals and two snacks at least 6 days a week. 

While I have been working on this.... I am not so happy with how I have done with this goal this year.  3 balanced meals and 2 snacks 6 days a week feels really hard sometimes.  When I don't snack I think I'm doing well, only that usually gets me into such a mess that I don't eat a balanced meal.  This one will have to carry over to next year.   

Start… exercising for 30 minutes, at least 4 times a week.

Oh Dear.... this one hasn't been going so well at all!  Next year we will try again.  Perhaps I need to look at this goal again and make a plan for meeting it.  

Visit… family and/or friends once a month.

I totally nailed it! This year, I have visited with family from all over and spent time with friends as well.  I have made time for family and friends when they were in town.  I have made the effort to catch up with teacher friends who work at different schools now.  I have also been sending messages and cards to friends and family who I can't "visit".  Now that I don't HAVE to stay home and be responsible for another person, I need to appreciate it!  I want to continue doing this next year.  I have found such comfort and joy in spending time with those I love.  I am also appreciating the good times I can have with these people while we are all still alive and well enough to enjoy each others' company. 

Accept… that I cannot fix everything.  

Yep... everyday! That is... I remind myself of this everyday.  I accept it everyday.  I give it to God and accept that He is in control.  I have to do that, every single day! 


See…    Melbourne in real life/ Capital Cities.

I'm working on it... this goal kind of changed over the year.  I kind of moved the goal posts.  I saw Adelaide!  I am planning to visit two more of Australia's capital cities next year! :) 

Learn… at least 12 scripture passages by heart. 

Let's See: Scripture Verses learned so far

Psalm 4:8
Psalm 23
Psalm 32:7-8
Psalm 90:12
Proverbs 3:5-6
Proverbs 18:10
Matthew 11:28
John 3:30
Romans 8:18
Ephesians 2:10
Ephesians 4:29
Ephesians 4:32
Philippians 2:13
Philippians 4:19
Colossians 1:11
Colossians 3:15
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Hebrews 10:14
Therefore, I'm on track! I'm Loving my memorisation app!  I know that most of these are single verses instead of passages.  I was struggling with some of the passages of scripture.  I decided to work on single verses and tackle longer passages next year.  I have the Beatitudes all set up to start working on them come January 1. 

Give… to Christian Missions overseas and in Australia (12 times or once a month).

I have been continuing with my regular monthly sponsorship of a day care centre overseas.  I have also donated to: the chaplaincy program in local high schools, an orphanage in Cambodia, a health and medical program for ministers in remote areas of Indonesia, and the Salvo's self-denial appeal for Christian Missions in several countries around the world.  I am happy that I have reached this goal.  I am excited that I am able to make a positive difference in the world.  It wasn't even that difficult.  I am looking for more projects to support next year.  

Be…   Quiet

Hhhmmm. I am managing to spend time alone and be quiet.  Perhaps I need to do this more when I'm with others.  You know... I need to keep things to myself when what I want to say isn't helpful.  There is a bible verse I'm working on memorising that goes well with this goal.  The more I look into "being quiet" the more practice I need!  

Grow… spiritually by reading my Bible 5-7 times a week and attending church at least 3 times each month.

I have not attended church 3 times every month this year.  I have been reading my Bible much more often than in previous years. If you count all the times I sat down and read my Bible (at home and alone), it would round out to 4-5 days each week. I have certainly grown spiritually this year as I have worked towards reaching this goal.  My memorisation goal has also helped me to grow spiritually.  There are moments when I am blown away by how much I have grown this year.  That growth is having a huge impact on every other aspect of my life.  I'm declaring this goal reached... because I have grown.  

Invest… in reaching these goals.

Okay, so some goals have been invested in more than others.   I think, the main reason is that some of them yielded return much faster than others.  Some goals are easier too!  

My goal setting plan for next year is to continue with some of these goals as they are and reset them.  I will be setting some new goals and I will be tweaking up some of the goals I have here with the hope of succeeding next time.  I'm really happy that I set these goals almost 12 months ago.  I'm a bit disappointed with some of the things mentioned above.  On the other hand, I'm over the moon with what I have achieved.  


I don't know what 2018 will bring.  I do know, that I can't wait to find out! :) 

Tune in during January to find out about my new goals.  If you are thinking about 2017 and wanting to plan for success in 2018, you might like to check out this.  

Count Down to 2018 is on!!