Friday, April 27, 2018

Mothers' Day Cards (part 1)

Welcome to the first of a two part series celebrating Mothers' Day 2018.

Part One: Mothers' Day Cards

Part Two: Mothers' Day Gift Guide

I have four cards to show you today. I am planning to give one to my mum, and one to each of my grandmothers.  The fourth card is also for my nieces and nephews to give to my mum, so it's a Grandma card.  I am so lucky that both of my grandmothers are still alive and they are both still teaching me in their own way.  Don't forget your grandmother/s this Mothers' Day.  Even if they are no longer living, take some time to remember them and their contribution to your life.

You will notice that none of my cards have "Happy Mothers' Day" on them.  These cards are versatile. A Mothers' Day card is essentially a Thank you card.  You could even use them as "just because" cards or even a "love you" card.  The main things with Mothers' Day cards is that they are usually feminine.

Let's get into these Cards.


A Card for my Mum

I stamped the Doodle Background Stamp from Catherine Pooler Designs in black ink on white card stock. After trimming this down, I mounted it on a strip of black card stock that was 1/8th of an inch larger.  Then, I put this on a piece of red textured paper that was the same size as the front of my card.  I stamped the sentiment in Versamark ink and heat set with white embossing powder.  Then I used the emboss resist technique to colour the paper with Rockin' Red ink from Catherine Pooler.  This came out a bit pink!  I am new at the emboss resist technique so I need a bit more practise. A couple of adhesive backed pearls and that was that. Check out this video to learn more about emboss resist and see the doodle background stamp in action! 



A Card for Nanny

I used a gorgeous Plaid Flower stamp set (by Penny Black) to make this card and paired it with a sentiment from the Lovely Flowers stamp set (by Catherine Pooler).  I used Flirty Fuchsia ink (also by Catherine Pooler) to stamp the flower and Cottage Green (by Memento) to stamp the leaves.  I borrowed some green twine from a friend to finish this card off. Then I decided that it NEEDED to have some iridescent sequins too.  I love the clean and simple design of this card.  

A Card for Grandma

I used the Bloomin' Bouquet stamp set and the Lovely Flowers stamp set by Catherine Pooler to make this card.  Inks were from Memento and Catherine Pooler.  I don't remember which colours!  Sorry.  You might notice that I didn't use any twine, sequins or stickers on this card.  It's also (almost) a one layer card.   I purposely did this because my Grandma gets a bit confused these days.  If I had used twine wrapped around a card panel, she may have tried to untie it and remove it from the card and that would have made a big mess.  I also didn't want any stick on pearls or gems to fall off and possibly be mistaken for tablets that need to be swallowed.  Neither my grandmother or grandfather have great eyesight. Sometimes we need to think about these things! 

Best Grandma Card

My last card (but certainly not the least) for today is the one I will give my nieces and nephews to give to my mum.  My mum loves red and black and white.  So, this card has the same colour palette as my first card.  I wanted it to be light and fun.  Using Rockin' Red ink (Catherine Pooler) and  a polka dot stamp (Love is in the Air SOA), I made some red with white polka dot patterned paper.  Then I went a bit crazy with my Cuttle Bug and die cut a bunch of flowers in different sizes using Eva's Favourite Flowers (by Winnie and Walter).  I used my polka dot paper, black and white card.  Then I layered them and played around with the arrangement until I landed on the one you see here.  
Stamping the sentiment took a little while, as I used the Simply the Best stamp set (Catherine Pooler) and an alpha stamp set for the word "Grandma" which I needed to stamp one letter at a time.  I stamped on white card and then glued them onto black card and cut them out with scissors.  I didn't worry about making it perfect as I wanted it to look like the kids may have made it.  Before adhering the panel to the card base, I added some black glitter washi tape to each long side of the card front so it has a frame.  A few black gems in the centre of the flowers and I was done! 


If you want to purchase any of the products you see here, check out: 

Next Week:  I will give you a few tips with plenty of time to get you organised for Mothers' Day!

Love